Thursday, September 2, 2010

A quick word on fostering.

A quick word on fostering - to anyone out there that has every considered it and I supposed also to those that haven't

DO it!

There are so many great animals out there that just need a place to stay until they find their new forever homes! The picture above is of one of my past foster dogs - Vivo.

Now known as Sammy. I had this guy for 6.5 months, which was my longest foster yet. But so amazingly worth it.

I have to say that fostering has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. You take an animal at his most needy- in Vivo's case- EXTREME need, and you can completely change the course of his life. V came to me with a torn ligament in his knee, SEVERELY overweight and had no social skills at all. Still he had a bright and congenial spirit that made him irresistible. I nurtured him through his surgeries, and taught him basic household commands. I got very attached and it was extremely difficult to let go of a dog that had become such a part of my family. But now he has a great family of his own, and I still get to see him periodically when his owners go away on vacation and he needs a spot to crash.

So to anyone who's considering it ... try it. You may be overwhelmed at first. But nothing beats knowing that you made a difference in an animals life. You never know, you could be the difference between life and death.

No comments:

Post a Comment