Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Vegan Coleslaw

What a gorgeous Memorial Day weekend we had! Beautiful weather, good food, and good friends. What more can you ask for?

I went to a cookout this past Sunday at my parent's house, and I was at a total loss as to what to bring to share with everyone. I didn't want to bring something that no one was going to eat, and yet I wanted to contribute something to the cookout. Coleslaw was the first thing that ran into my mind. I guess you either hate it or love it, but I put together a recipe that one of my uncles couldn't even tell was vegan!!
WHOOP WHOOP!

Summertime Vegan Coleslaw
1 pkg shredded coleslaw cabbage
1/2 package of shredded carrots ( or more to your taste)
1/2 jar (6-8 Oz) of vegan mayo ( I use veganese)
1 1/4 Tablespoon prepared horseradish
2 Tablespoons Lemon or lime juice ( lime would add more of a tang)
1 Tablespoon honey
lots of fresh pepper
pinch of hot red pepper flakes ( optional- if you want to spice it up a bit)
salt to taste

Mix all except cabbage and carrots together in a small bowl. Mix the cabbage and carrots together in a large mixing bowl, add the sauce and toss until well mixed. Serve extra cold. Makes enough for 5-6 People

I also brought some cream "cheese" filled celery sticks. I just cut up the celery into 3 inch sticks and filled the middles with some herb and chive tofutti "cream cheese". I added a sprinkle of paprika and voila!



No comments:

Post a Comment